Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Friday, October 5, 2012

Banned Books Week

Courtesy of American Library Association

This kind of thing makes me spitting mad because this is not right. Who is to say what we can and cannot read? When it comes to stuff like this the rebel in me comes out and I want to do something about this, if nothing else for spite because right now I guess there is nothing else we can do except corrupt our minds and read a banned book.


This year this event is from Sept 30 – Oct 6. This whole mess started back in 1982 when some naysayer thought that they would protect us from ourselves and ban certain types of literature lest it corrupt our thinking. It is still okay to read what we want and to be ourselves. So far reading, thinking, speaking and expressing ourselves is still all right in America.

This is what the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution Says:

The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble.” It goes on to say we may petition the government for grievances.

Here are just a few books on the list:

The Hunger Games
Farewell to Arms
Frankenstein
To Kill a Mockingbird
Lord of the Flies
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Ulysses
The Great Gatsby
Green Eggs and Ham
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Grapes of Wrath
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Madame Bovary
The Scarlet Letter
Uncle Tom’s Cabin
Of Mice and Men
Brave New World
Lady Chatterley’s Lover

So go ahead, let’s be naughty, and exercise our rights by reading something off this list this week. There are many classics here.

Here is a link to read more about banned books week.
  http://www.bannedbooksweek.org/

4 comments:

Johnny Velazquez, PhD said...

Love you site. Who in the world would ban such literature as To Kill A Mockingbird, etc. Thank you for your post.
My blogs are....
http://www.patilla37.blogspot.com

http://www.parrillaturi.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

My youngest daughter and I were discussing this a few days ago. I don't think books should be banned, but as a reader, I would like warning labels so I don't get hit with the f bomb every page like the last book I was reading. I also don't think ones with explicit pics on the cover should be at children's eye level. You go girl! Rock the boat until the bad guys get sick. giggle
love, LinnAnn Pike

http://linnannpike.blogspot.com

Sunni said...

Johnny,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for stopping, reading and posting. I appreciate it. I try to post things of interest. I think banning books should be a crime. This is an important subject to me.

I'll check out your site. Thanks for posting the link.

Sunni

Sunni said...

LinnAnn,

I agree with you. I don't think books should be banned either. I don't read explicit books, but it should be every reader's choice what they want to indulge in.

Of course adult books shouldn't be displayed at the eye levels of children. I think most bookstores have separate children's sections for books. The rest is up to the parents, not any other group telling us what we can or cannot read. Many books on the banned books list are classics.

I think perhaps a sentence at the bottom of the symopsis rating the book might be a good thing, something that states if it contains profanity, or things of a sexual nature. Then the reader can make up their own minds.

Thank you for reading and commenting. I didn't know if everyone knew about this and I think it's important enough to bring to the forefront.

Sunni