Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Designing Book Covers



I read an article in GalleyCat the beginning of June.  There was a discussion held at Book Expo America on the importance of the book cover.  All of us know that the first thing to catch our eye when browsing for a new book is the jacket.  I know that’s the first thing I look at and of it interests me, I read the blurb on the back, or inside of the jacket, as is the case with hard cover books.

A good reminder for all of us is to bear in mind the way the finished cover will look as a thumbnail image.  Can you still see the important parts of the cover when it’s that size?  This is actually something I thought little about when doing my first book.

Another thing mentioned was taking a risk and not imitating successful covers of books already published and doing well.  I would want my own unique cover, but that’s how I am with everything in life.  I tend to walk a path that isn’t “the norm” with many things.  I would urge writers to take a risk with their cover, if they’re comfortable doing so.

This might be an article you’d like to read.  It could come in handy if you’ll be doing a cover anytime soon.  To go there, click Cover Design Tips From the Pros.

No comments: