Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Night time Ramblings

Well I'm still waiting for my proof which won't get here until next week now. I was hoping to get it read this weekend to see if I need to make any changes, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Kind of have my hands full now anyway, but wanted to start writing and it will be distracting to go back to the finished book.

A friend left for Idaho yesterday and today I found out another guy I know has terminal cancer. What a bummer. The old man next door has terminal cancer too. Don't know which one will go first, but I'm pretty sure they'll be gone by Halloween or Thanksgiving. It just goes to show you that this life is short and you never know what's coming. It's best to seize the day, or the moment, or whatever you have, and fill it with what counts. I try to live by that, but sometimes it's hard to do. Been trying to take the old man, Bob, some food etc. and check on him because he's all alone. He has a grown son who lives out of state that visits once in awhile, but he just trashes the place and doesn't pick up after himself. His father sure can't do it. A lot of times he can hardly move or get out of bed all day.

I did go out last night and had way too much mexican food. We met some friends at this new place that opened up and the food was terrific. I rarely eat that anymore anyway, so if it's in moderation I guess it's okay. That's the only kind of food my family can agree on when we all get together, which isn't very often. They eat that a lot in TX. It's no wonder almost everyone is over weight. Most of the time I try to stick to salad if I can. anyway this restaurant last night had one downfall and that was a table of kids run rampant. They screamed and ran around all over and the adults simply ignored them. It looked like pigs ate at that table and not children, with food all over the table, floor, chairs, etc. I felt sorry for the wait staff. I know we would have gotten killed if we acted that way when we were kids.

I think it's probably a good thing I never had any kids. Having kids doesn't mean they'll be there for you when you get old, like a lot of people think. Kids do grow up, move away, and have their own lives. I like to write and tell children stories, but then send them home to Mama. I think I would be to much of a disciplinarian in todays world. I have too much of my grandmother in me. She'd always tell us "children could be seen but not heard from, so you couldn't speak unless spoken to." I think all seven of us grew up all right in an atmosphere like that.

Ok, I better get with it. It grows late again and, even though I'm a night owl by nature, I have to halfway watch the time. I hate being a clock watcher, but I posted a sign above my desk - at eye level - that says "Watch the time" so I don't get myself in trouble all the time with the rest of the family. So I'm off to do my night chores which include giving my old cat a pill, scooping cat boxes, locking all the doors, etc. so I can get to bed and listen to Coast to Coast until I doze off.

Blessings all,
Sunni

No comments: