Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Monday, February 27, 2012

My two cents on ebook pricing

Okay this is just my opinion, but I really don’t understand how all you writers can give your books away or sell them for 99 cents. I know you will say that you are unknown authors, etc. and offer up all sorts of excuses like that, but don’t you think your time and talent is worth anything? Personally when I see books priced like this I figure they must not be worth reading. I think most of us are willing to pay more than that for good book.



As indie authors, it takes a lot of work and a lot of time to get a novel out there. Not only do we have to write it, have it edited and formatted along with a nice cover designed for it, but once it’s uploaded then we have all the responsibility and time it takes to market it to potential readers.


Now I’m not saying to overprice your books, but I think as long as it’s under $10 it is not unreasonable. If you think $10 is only for the big names then price it at $4 or $5, but in my opinion selling a book for 99 cents or giving it away to attract readers is crazy! Of course everyone is allowed to price their books as they see fit so I’m sure this practice will continue. And believe me I can see running a promotion for a short time, but I really think that most of you have gone to a lot of time and effort to write something worth reading, so my question is why give it away? Writers have to earn a living along with everyone else, so can anyone answer that with something reasonable?

No comments: