I’m sorry everyone. I’ve been tied up finishing a magazine project and have neglected to post here again for too long.
Here are some tips for any YA authors reading this. For readers twelve and up your book should include these elements.
1. Sex and Romance (Parents may cringe but teens want to read about sex and romance, especially girls. These scenes shouldn’t be too graphic and steamy but it has to be in there if your book is going to sell. This is just a fact of life.)
2. Self Concept and Awareness. Teens are self-conscious and need characters that build up esteem.
3. Peer Group acceptance. Teens travel in packs and so should their characters. You shouldn’t have any isolated characters in your book.
4. Future. You should always build up a promise for a bright future for your characters.
5. Place in family. Family and their place in it is very important to teens, even if they don't let on that it is.
And this is very important. Most YA books must have a happy ending. Please no tragic endings.
There you are. Now go and write and try out some of these important writing tips!