Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Sunday, February 17, 2013

ABNA 2013 Update



Well the “pitch round” is over and 2000 entries have moved on to step two of the contest. The pitch is a subjective round, so it is usually a matter of luck, at this stage of the contest. Now we get to the point in this next phase, where the contestants who have advanced will actually get the first 3,000 to 5,000 words of their manuscript read. This section is more important because it is an opportunity to have some of your work critiqued by the judges.


Naturally, we all hope to make it to this cycle, hoping someone who likes our genre will get to read our pitch. However, this is not how things always work out. Sadly, I am not moving on to this important stage this year, but I will still enter every year, as I always do, and not let this discourage me. I will still support the ones who have advanced by reading as much of their work as I can.

Over the years, I have built a great camaraderie with some of the writers and we stay in touch, as often as we can throughout the year. It is nice to participate and be supportive to others. Most important, I learn something every year and it forces me to get better and keep writing. There is nothing wrong with this picture.

I will keep working on my book and when I’m ready, I will publish it, hopefully sometime this summer. I am growing in my writing everyday. I do give thanks for the fellow writers who are taking their time to help me achieve the best book I can.

After all, it is all about writing and growing in my craft. If I’m lucky one day, I will be a great writer through my diligence and tenacity.

The next cut is in March, so I’ll post another update then. In the meantime, keep writing and never get up. It is never too late to follow your dreams.


No comments: