Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Creating a Picture through Writing

Free Clipart

My husband is out taking pictures today, so this subject came to mind. He is quite good with the camera and takes some great shots, although he is a perfectionist and thinks they are never good enough.


This got me to thinking about how important it is to paint a picture in the reader’s mind through my writing. I learned this in a writing class that I took years ago, yet it surprises me how much I let his slip my mind, at times.

My instructor, a retired college English teacher, told the class to use good description and details, not leaving out any of the five senses. Of course, this makes sense. When I wrote my first book, I probably used this advice to the extreme. As I look at it today, my writing is a lot more flowery than I use now. This is okay, but in places I probably over described scenery and things. There is really a fine line as to how much detail to give, although I think I am grasping this concept better than I used to.

I know it is best to leave some things to the reader’s imagination, but I personally like to know what things look like. This includes people and places. Now, I try to use dialogue more effectively when describing things, instead of using too much narrative. I do think this makes for a more exciting read, but like everyone else, I am still learning. I am grateful for the feedback I get, and I try to use it to make my writing better.

Have a wonderful writing week everyone.

4 comments:

J.S. Andersen said...

Thank you for your post. I like the info.

Sunni said...

Jeannette,

Thanks for reading and commenting. Hopefully, I helped someone with this post. I think there is a fine line between giving enough and too much description.

Sunni

Anonymous said...

Show, don't tell. Always good advice. Thanks for the comment on recovering

Sunni said...

Jack,

Thank you for reading and commenting.

Sunni