Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Garden Work is a Killer



Since the weather has warmed up, we’ve been taking advantage of sprucing up the yard before it gets too hot around here. In the desert, you never know. Sometimes it’s like flipping a switch and there is no in-between period from heat to A/C.


The yard is in bad shape this year due to the harsh winter. So much needs cutting back that it makes you tired to look at it. It took me over a week to recover from the last episode of yard work. We mainly trimmed back bushes. The palm trees still need it. That takes the chainsaw. The fronds are huge, tough and have sharp spikes on them.

I was back at it again yesterday. First, I helped my husband stake up some vines that had fallen over in all the winter wind. Then I got all my flowers planted. Even though we are moving, they will still make the yard look nice. It’s better than looking at dead things in pots anyway.


Free Clipart

I threw all this stuff, potting soil, garden tools, gloves, a fold-up stool, and the flats of flowers in a wheel barrow to push it around the house. Of course, after I finished all that stuff, there was watering and the cleanup. We had cobwebs all over because of winter, so after crawling around on the concrete patio for a few hours with a whiskbroom to get it all out of the cracks and corners, I was beat. That and bending over the wheelbarrow to mix up soil and fill my pots, my back had had it.

Free Clipart


Today I can hardly move again. All this reminds me how everything seems to hurt, as you get older. Of course, I hate that but I can’t do anything about it. I ended up falling asleep on the couch. I wish my husband would have left me there because I was awake by the time I crawled in bed at 1 AM and then I hurt too bad to sleep.

So I have not been reading or writing lately, which would sure be saving my body. Today it is back to what we still have left to do.

No comments: