Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Book Reviews and Writing Tips

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Time to Celebrate the Return of Spring

Bradford Pear tree - Sunni's Photo's

Spring is the time for new beginnings. Trees and flowers begin to sprout and bloom and show signs of new life. Animals pair up and begin their mating rituals. The desert behind us is green with sagebrushes, and the cactus back there have buds. Next month they will open for a glorious April full of flowers.


The rabbits are hopping around in the desert as if they got into the juniper berries, jumping three feet high straight in the air. This is very comical to watch. Chipmunks are scurrying about stealing things to use for their nests. Those critters eat everything in sight. I haven’t planted new flowers yet this year. Last year, they ate them to the ground. I’m not sure I’ll plant as many this year because it’s a lot of work, and we are planning a move anyway.

It is nice to see the ground warming up. We’ve been killing ourselves chopping away at dead limbs. All the hours we’ve put in and it doesn’t even look like we have made a dent yet. The winter was rough on everything. I don’t know how all the animals back in the desert manage to survive. My allergies have kicked in now, and my asthma is a mess because of working on all the plants, but this is worth it to see winter go away, far, far away, I hope.

Spring arrives on March 20 this year. The birds are chirping happily at the warmer days. The squirrels will probably be emerging from their winter dens soon. I saw the first lizards this week and the cats are going crazy watching all the activities from the windows, which are finally open.


Labyrinth

I usually go and walk the labyrinth on the solstices and equinoxes. We have three where I live. The closest one is only about two miles from my house. Labyrinths have been around for years, considered a place of magic and introspection. It’s a good meditation place, quiet and peaceful. They are found all over the world and are like a maze in that there is only one way in and one way out. Here are a few pictures of the one near me.


Labyrinth in Winter - Sunni's Photo's

Labyrinth in Spring - Sunni's Photo's

Lastly, I want to share some spring quotes, which seem to capture the mood perfectly.

Life stands before me like an eternal spring with new and brilliant clothes
___ Carl Friedrich Gauss

Spring is nature’s way of saying, “Let’s party!” ___Robin Williams

What does spring mean to you? Have you started any new book projects?



No comments: